Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday with Kids!
Our Oxfordshire based kids activities expert tells us how to celebrate all things pancakes in Oxfordshire
Did you know that Wallingford hosts one of the oldest pancake races in the country? Tradition has it that you just need a frying pan and pancake to join in the family race around the Market Place. This year it’s in aid of The Health & Well Being Centre in Wallingford. You need to register from 9.30am, and kids get a head start at 10am, with adults joining in at 10.15. Check here for more info
And in the spirit of embracing the Shrove Tuesday pancake consumption tradition, here are five great family friendly choices in Oxfordshire that kids young and old will love!...
1. If you want to sample pancakes styles from around the world, head to the Pancake House, Oxford (https://www.pancakehouse.info/oxford/), where they offer pancakes, creps, blinis and waffles in all of their sweet and salty forms! Feeling adventurous? Opt for their exotic kiwi-mango-yoghurt pancake.
2. The family owned Combibos (http://www.combibos.co.uk/menu) in Oxford do real American style pancakes with bacon and maple syrup, or if your kids have been really good, perhaps go for the really naughty option…. chocolate pancakes.
3. According to the Little Amsterdam cafe in Banbury (http://littleamsterdam.co), The Dutch pancake isn’t really complete unless it is served with stroop (syrup, pronounced strope) - a favourite is the cheese and bacon pancake, with stroop... Delicious.
4. If you want to go for something a bit special, try the 16th century country inn hotel - The Deddington Arms Hotel (http://www.deddington-arms-hotel.co.uk). Their award winning menu includes buttermilk pancakes with fruit and syrup. It also boasts a great child friendly menu.
5. Heard of Hack the Stack? http://www.hackthestack.co.uk/get-hack-the-stack/ With thoughtfully sourced ingredients, they provide a healthier, lighter twist on the traditional American style pancake. They’re got a street food stall that frequents Abingdon Business Park, check their website for the latest dates. They also deliver via Deliveroo (yes, it’s true, great for busy parents!), and they can even cater for birthday parties. Food for thought...
And if you're on half term right now find more fun activities and days out with your little ones here. Otherwise check out our every day kids' activities.